Fedora Board Recap 2008-JUL-08

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 20:02:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> Do we want to include something else with this?  I only ask because if in
> the future we decide we want something else, it'll be another checkbox or
> re-wording and asking everyone to re-check it.  For example, does time
> zone or locale fall in the same category as geo data?

Can we use a blanket opt-in checkbox so we can aggregate any and all
account information? or is there information we would never ever want
the ability to aggregate? Do we need a checkbox per field? So as we
add fields people get a new opt-in checkbox?

If I were going to do one checkbox it would read sort of like this:
I am allowing the Fedora project to publish details of my account as
part of aggregate data summaries.

So we would be able to use an accounts ip address, geo data, locale,
or even name, such as part of counting or trending statistics.  For
example what if we wanted  to know how many contributors had a last
names starting with M or S? By ticking this box we could include your
personal information in that aggregate count.  Obviously that sort of
alphabetic breakdown would unlikely to be needed. But it serves as an
example of a way to take obviously personal identifying information
and aggregating it.

And I would need to be able to get a count of the people who did or
did not opt-in.  Knowing that we have say 10% opting-in would help
qualify any aggregate numbers we got out.

-jef