supporting closed source operating systems?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 20:08:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> The Fedora brand is a Linux brand.  It makes sense to have some
> Microsoft Windows stuff where it supports that story, such as tools to
> assist migration ... to Linux.  The libvirt pieces seem, to me, to be a
> good enough fit and belong on this side of the bright line.

Even if you want to draw the line based on intent in the language of
cohesive branding...and you want to say that compared to the possible
community needs for cross-development..the libvirt needs enhance the
value of the brand in a way that other cross-development needs in the
community do not....I'm still not sure this needs to be in the main
repository of the distribution.

We can brand it Fedora and it can live outside the main repo. I do not
want to have to defend a special case for mingw cross-compiled stuff
specifically on the basis that it is good for libvirt development on
Windows and exclude all the other possible cross-development needs
which the community will think up once they have access mingw as part
of our distribution. And they will think them up.  If we are going to
special case it, lets special case it outside the main Fedora linux
distribution repository and set this up as Fedora branded addon
repository targeting libvirt on windows specifically.

-jef