Interesting Idea for MinGW

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jul 22 16:34:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 09:05:09AM -0400, Scott Glaser wrote:
> I came up with an interesting idea for MinGW, Could it be developed into
> and application that could be installed on a U3 device? My idea would be
> to have MinGW as an application on a U3 drive with a live persistent
> image installed on the storage side of the device.

'MinGW' (ie. gcc, the various binutils) is a Fedora native
application.  It doesn't run on Windows, assuming that's what you
meant.

> I could see this a beneficial as a user that is stuck in a Windows
> environment could plug in the U3 device, execute the MinGW application
> and run Fedora from the image installed on the storage side of the
> device.

You're right though that there is a case where MinGW helps people
stuck in Windows -- I have a Windows machine here that I use to build
libvirt, which I would *dearly* love to convert to a Fedora box.
Having MinGW in Fedora provides a path for Windows developers to
switch to Fedora.

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 59 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)