Interesting Idea for MinGW

Scott Glaser sonar_guy at c-ccom.com
Tue Jul 22 21:04:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 17:34 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 09:05:09AM -0400, Scott Glaser wrote:
> > I came up with an interesting idea for MinGW, Could it be developed into
> > and application that could be installed on a U3 device? My idea would be
> > to have MinGW as an application on a U3 drive with a live persistent
> > image installed on the storage side of the device.
>
> 'MinGW' (ie. gcc, the various binutils) is a Fedora native
> application.  It doesn't run on Windows, assuming that's what you
> meant.

Richard,

Sorry I misread what MinGW could do, I was under the impression that it
was similar to the what could be done in the link below:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/03/26/portable-qemu-persistent-ubuntu-linux/

Portable Qemu Persistent Linux image on a U3 device, that allows users
to run Fedora within windows as an application. This will allow more
users to experience the joys of Fedora without having to install it on
the machine or in instances where they can not install it on a machine.
With the advent of U3 devices exceeding 8gb in size it could allow for a
customized version of Fedora to be installed that can be tailored to
that users wants/needs.  It would have the benefit of being more useful
than the live-cd/dvd as it can be updated and retains it
updates/settings.

Sorry for the confusion.

V/R

Scott Glaser