Election Data

CLAY S clay at brokenladder.com
Wed Jul 23 18:26:47 UTC 2008

strategic voting is voting in a less expressive way that increases your
personal expected utility.  for instance, the DH3 pathology with condorcet
voting (used by debian, unfortunately) is where a candidate wins whom
virtually everyone agrees is the worst, because they all use a strategy that
is _beneficial_ at the individual level.  it's like the prisoners' dilemma.
everyone is worse off because they each use an advisable strategy.

an example of strategic voting was when 90% of the nader-supporting voters
voted for someone else (namely gore) back in 2000, because that had a higher
expected value (where expected value is the chance your vote changes the
election outcome times the difference in utility that causes for you).

in score voting, you might actually feel that X=10, Y=7, and Z=0 -- but if Y
and Z are the clear front-runners, you can increase your expected value by
voting X=10, Y=10, Z=0.  that's more strategic.

the nice thing about score voting is that it behaves quite nicely even when
people are strategic.  here are some links which discuss this.

http://rangevoting.org/StratHonMix.html
http://rangevoting.org/ShExpRes.html
http://rangevoting.org/PleasantSurprise.html
http://rangevoting.org/RVstrat1.html
http://rangevoting.org/RVstrat2.html
http://rangevoting.org/RVstrat3.html
http://rangevoting.org/RVstrat4.html
http://rangevoting.org/RVstrat5.html
http://rangevoting.org/RVstrat6.html
http://rangevoting.org/CondBurial.html

regards,
clay

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:08, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 1:02 PM, CLAY S <clay at brokenladder.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:37, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Why should Fedora make any of it public knowing that doing so will
> >> affect the way people vote?
> >
> > i'm saying it will affect it _for the better_.  which is "bad" from a
> > research point of view, but good for fedora.
>
> I misunderstood strategic voting to be a supposed benefit of this.
>
> What is meant by "strategic" voting and why is it bad?
>
> John

clay shentrup
phone: 206.801.0484

"Iraq? No, YOU rock!"