Election Data

CLAY S clay at brokenladder.com
Sat Jul 26 20:47:28 UTC 2008

I could certainly live with that.  The Fedora community obviously will be
around for many years to come, and will hold a lot of elections.  So that's
a treasure trove of data for election geeks and activists to study.

Also, for any of you who participated in the elections, I would love to hear
your thoughts about the process of score voting at our discussion group:

Did it seem easy to choose a score compared to plain ol' "pick one"
plurality voting, or ranked methods?  Was there any conflict about choosing
to be expressive vs. strategic?  Any frustration at all?  We'd love to hear.

Thanks everyone for being so open-minded and discussing this issue.

Best,
Clay

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 11:11, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> data
> so.
> >>
> >> I'd be disappointed if we were yet another data point of groups who do
> >> not handle their users information w/care.
> >>
> >> It's such a cliche.
> >
> > Can you explain how it wouldn't be handled with care if it was
> > anonymized?
> >

> The issue is that the board is the steward of the data. How long does
> the data get kept (what is Fedora's data retention policy?) and who is
> allowed access to it is something the board should consider. Not just
> for useful research, but fishing expeditions by some British Ministry
> to see if David Woodhouse was voting or going to the Dr on such a date
> and can be held for an additional 40 days because he forgot to mention
> that when questioned.  [Now David may think thats an ok situation, but
> I would lose some sleep over it.. and I am just being selfish here.]
>
> People may also have some 'legal' expectation of privacy unless told
> otherwise by banners and signed agreements (updated CLA's). This would
> also affect whether the board could give the data out (or have to do
> some such thing that any member who comes from Netherlands can't have
> their data aggregated with sets given out unless they were told it was
> going to be done).
>
> I have no problem with future election data being given away via some
> approved anonymous data set, but I think that currently going ones and
> past ones are closed
>

> --
> Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux
> How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed
> in a naughty world. = Shakespeare. "The Merchant of Venice"

clay shentrup
phone: 206.801.0484

"Iraq? No, YOU rock!"