Proposal: Fedora at Home Project

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 16:44:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 09:48 -0500, Bryan Che wrote:
> What are your thoughts on this?

What about the message that this sends, that we'd rather people kept
their computers on and busy using as much energy as possible to process
things?  Wouldn't we rather people's computers used as less power as
possible, and switched off as soon as they were no longer needed?

What if we could have some sort of carbon counter that interacted with
gnome-power-manager and some heuristics about a person's location and
the carbon cost of power in that person's area, so that you could track
over time what your computer usage is doing to your carbon cost?  Then
couldn't we set a carbon limit and only participate on the grid if you
have enough carbon cost to spare the cycles?

--
Jesse Keating