Spins proposals

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Mar 31 19:37:11 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:03 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com
> <mailto:kanarip at kanarip.com>> wrote:
>
>     Is the installation media spins that Unity does to be captured with this
>     process as well, or does this only apply to Live Spins (could that be
>     clarified in the proposal)?
>

> The intent was to leave the definition of 'spin' concept as broad as
> possible.  I don't think there is anything in the base proposal which
> raises the bar higher for installation media spins than for live images.

Well, should Unity remain to be able to release Re-Spins the way they do
then we'll maybe need an exemption to a couple of rules set forth in the
proposal;

On the Release Selection process:

Spin concepts:

- "can be proposed to Release Engineering for inclusion in the next
Fedora release"

Unity Re-Spins tend to not align with Fedora releases.

- "are built as part of the next Fedora release cycle"

Same here.

On the role of Release Engineering:

- "reviews each proposed spin for release and does the final spin image
composing for all released spins and update spins as they appear in the
torrent server and mirrors"

The type of configuration used by the tools currently used by Release
Engineering do not accept the kind of configuration a Re-Spin might
need. Nor, judging from the comments on a proposal a long time ago, does
upstream for those tools accept the type of configuration it might take
to compose a Re-Spin with, given that -supposedly- it would not be
reproducible.

Hence, during the compose process manual intervention might be required.
Insert here a reminder of the reproducibility argument used earlier.

Other then the above if all it applies to is Installation and Live Spins
to-be-released-by-the-Fedora-Project-proper, I fully agree with the
proposal. I sure hope though, should this proposal be accepted, it won't
be held against us all of a sudden.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip