Spins proposals

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 20:07:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com>
wrote:

> Well, should Unity remain to be able to release Re-Spins the way they do
> then we'll maybe need an exemption to a couple of rules set forth in the
> proposal;
>
> On the Release Selection process:
>
> Spin concepts:
>
> - "can be proposed to Release Engineering for inclusion in the next
> Fedora release"
>
> Unity Re-Spins tend to not align with Fedora releases.

Anything that is meant to be given official hosting space needs to run
through a proposal process that is synced with the release schedule. Even if
the purpose of the spin being proposed is such that it will not have images
at release time, but will only have update images.   Everything that will
consume project hosting resources needs to be on the table at release time
with space consumption estimates. Part of the purpose of the spin release
process is to make sure we adequately match our space constraints for spins
to the  commitment we make for  spins over the duration of each release.

The type of configuration used by the tools currently used by Release
> Engineering do not accept the kind of configuration a Re-Spin might
> need. Nor, judging from the comments on a proposal a long time ago, does
> upstream for those tools accept the type of configuration it might take
> to compose a Re-Spin with, given that -supposedly- it would not be
> reproducible.

In the scope of the proposal, for community images that can be hosted
elsewhere, the community managed Kickstart Pool has no explicit requirements
on syncing with the Fedora release process as controlled by RelEng.   The
Spin SIG is deliberately stood up as a community peer group for community
spin concepts, even for items that will not pass RelEng technical review.
Once there is a credible community Spin SIG and they create an initial best
practices guidance.. we can start have a serious discussion about how that
group can work together to produce images.

Once we are able to provide shell access to a Fedora Infrastructure
controlled compose host for composing signed images, the Spin SIG as a group
will need to decide how they want to make use of that infrastructure to
compose images with appropriate signatures.   The resulting spins will have
to be hosted elsewhere in the community, but will be linkable from
spins.fp.org webspace controlled by the Spin SIG.  And yes, people are
working towards making this sort of compose host access available, but its
not going to happen tomorrow.

-jef