Fedora- Ireland Website?

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 15 18:06:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 12:22 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 05:35:26PM +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > Going back to school on Tuesday.
> > Will have to create a website as part of it,
> > using whatever app is specified.
> >
> > Rather than creating a fictitious site,
> >  was thinking of putting together a fedora-Ireland site.
> > Which after the schooling could be used,
> > a basis for Ireland\Fedora users.
> >
> > Looking for some feedback on the idea (1), and the use of the name
> > fedora (2) in a registered domain.
>
> I would worry about the long-term implications of such.  For my part,
> when I was in school, projects I did rarely lived longer than the end
> of finals week.  As the Infrastructure and Websites teams will attest,
> maintaining a useful website takes long-term effort.
>
> I'm also unclear what special needs the subset of the Fedora community
> which may consitute "Ireland Fedora users" would have, different from
> the global Fedora community, which would be worth the investment in
> creating such a new site / subgroup.   Could such be accomplished
> using existing Fedora infrastructure?  Would that also meet the needs
> of your class assignment?
>
> If the class calls for using Microsoft FrontPage or Macromedia
> Dreamweaver, there may be little overlap between the site you're
> developing, and the community you would be promoting.
>
> I'd also be surprised if your professor required you to register a
> domain name.  I'd be less surprised if you were expected to create
> this "site" within your own webspace on your school's servers.  Such a
> local, somewhat temporary (expires when you leave school or the class
> ends) "fan site" should not require trademark approval.  But if you're
> going to put in the effort to sustain this long-term, then a domain
> and approval would make sense.

I think ian weller had some good comments about this - b/c we've run
into similar situations the spanish-speaking fedora sites.

We're moving toward language_code.fedoraproject.org  and allowing people
who want to maintain translations/resources to work from there -

Ian, would you like to comment on the above?

-sv