5th anniv

Cristian Gafton gafton at gafton.net
Fri Sep 19 05:04:37 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 00:23 +0200, Max Spevack wrote:
> I think for the 5 year anniversary we need all the old-skool guys to
> write in to f-a-b and tell one of their favorite Fedora stories.
>
> /me looks around in the tubes for Gafton

Well, stories can surely be had for cheap (meaning, beer would do).
Unfortunately the adult language content required to paint an objective
and accurate picture of some of those events and people's reactions
would probably cross the threshold for conduct unbecoming on such a
distinct list such as the advisory-board...

But, if you really want to have a crack at it, one could search in the
mailing lists archives and dig out the emails of doom and gloom from
around the time the Fedora Project started.

Some of the current highly visible members of the community were
predicting the total failure of the project because of the "incredible
greed" shown by Red Hat for splitting/spitting/spewing out Fedora on its
own, for lack of real support from the company, half hearted community
building measures, etc. I'm not saying that times were not tough, but
contrasting where Fedora is today with the barrage of doubt that
surrounded the start of the project would provide for a deeply
satisfying yell of "Well, how about that, you mo-fo-s!"

A nice anniversary like this is cause for celebration, and what better
way to celebrate than to rub it in the face of those who doubted the
resolve of a - let's face it - fairly small core of hacker who've kept
at it over the years.

There should be a page dedicated for celebrating this, and y'all should
fill it with the nicest quotes you can find. :-)

Cristian
--
Cristian Gafton