Fedora 10 Beta Release Planning Meeting

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 19 21:40:34 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 02:03 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> If you hold private meetings related to Fedora, you better have very
>> good reasons to do so and be explicit about it. It might be more work to
>> involve other people but we must be making special efforts every step of
>> the way to be as transparent as possible. This meeting is not a example
>> of that.
>
> It's also not an example of a shadowy conspiracy trying to undermine
> Fedora as a project.  It's quite simply just a few people who need to
> discuss things getting together and discussing them.  In the interest of
> transparency, we've published notes from that discussion.
> Seriously, should I put up a billboard each time I gather a couple
> people on IRC to talk about an issue, or a schedule item, or a bug?  I
> think you're way overreacting here.

This meeting has 13 invitees including the project leader and a variety
of people from various sub projects and it is fairly clear that is not
comparable to a minor IRC discussion with a couple of people. I never
called it a conspiracy either. No strawman's please.

I am expressing a concern about a meeting held and organized in secret
about something when there was no need to do so and such things do
undermine a project even without a conspiracy (which I repeat, never
accused anyone of)

I wish you would acknowledge that and help fix the process that leads to
such things and make an effort to involve others next time. That involves:

* Announcing that a meeting (phone or irc) is taking place with the
agenda ahead of time publicly

* Let others participate if possible or state reasons why you are
limiting participants

* Post meeting minutes (and IRC logs for IRC meetings)

Fairly simple things to do really.

Rahul