Fedora Board Recap 2009-01-27

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 14:57:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 12:03:42AM -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 03:53:43PM -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
>
> > * Paul Frields is requesting that the Red Hat Community Architecture
> > Team administer this survey at all future events
>
> Sorry we weren't helpful this time; I tried to pick up the ball but
> quickly realized I didn't have the finger strength to keep holding.
> Lateral to Paul, who got it in this time.
>
> The above request is a bit wide open.
>
> Which future events?  Just FUDCon or do you want something for FADs?

I think all events deserve some sort of formal feedback mechanism.  If
we're spending more than $1K or $2K, a survey is a good idea.

> For FADs, it's crucial that we survey at the end of the actual event.
> One fifteen minute form or (best!) a local web app service.

Agreed.  The current FUDCon survey took me about 8 minutes at a slow,
steady pace, although I didn't fill out any short answers.

> What do you all want to know about the FADs?  Some ideas for questions
> I had:
>
> * Did you have fun?
>   - Rate fun level

"Level of satisfaction," "fun," sure.  I'm all for making the survey
more informal as long as the questions are meaningful.

> * Do you feel you accomplished something?
>   - Rate accomplisment level

Getting warmer!  Maybe a more relevant measure would be, "Do you feel
you accomplished what you set out to do at this event?".

> * Did you improve your personal network, i.e., relationship with other
>   Fedorans and general FLOSS community members?
>   - Rate improvement level
>
> * What did you accomplish?
>   - General area of activity list, with Other space.
>   - Free form explanation
>   - Relevant URLs section

The more free form we get, the more anecdotal evidence we gather.
That's good.  Also, the more difficult it becomes to measure
effectiveness of one event versus other similar events, unless we have
enough quantitative captures.  Doing both consistently makes a longer
survey, so it's a bit of a balancing act if you want to hold to the
<15 minute mark.

> * What would have made your experience better?
>
> * What would have made the outcome better?
>
> * What was your favorite moment/event/outcome of the FAD?
>
> I would reckon we want something more comprehensive for the FUDCon,
> right?

I think there are a core set of questions that apply to any event, and
we'd probably want a bit more information for FUDCon because of the
much larger set of logistics we want to ensure we're carrying out
correctly.

> Do you want a regular review process on the questions asked?  That is,
> at FUDCon - N days, we review via f-a-b the list of questions.  We
> provide the survey online by the last day of the event, or just after
> it's over?

By regular, I'd say for each FUDCon, and maybe annually for FADs.  We
certainly don't want to set ourselves up for having to review
questions for every FAD when FADs are supposed to be high-frequency
events.

> What is the value of having the same questions in event after event?

I think that's somewhat self-explanatory -- measuring one event
against another as we vary a small number of parameters.  For example,
did changing the schedule result in a markedly different overall
satisfaction level from attendees?  If we change the whole survey for
every event, how can we measure events against each other?

I think having a core set of questions that apply across all events
makes it easier to do those sorts of comparisons.  We can definitely
vary things outside that core.  We have the start of a core set now,
and we can work on it as needed.  Judging by the amount of input I got
for this last survey, there aren't a whole lot of people who care
deeply about how we do these surveys, which might simply mean this
needn't be a tremendously drawn-out process.

> What is the value of adding, subtracting, or otherwise (re)mixing
> things?

If events vary in some parameter, there may be a need to capture
information pertinent to that variance.