Fedora Board Recap 2009-01-27

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 17:33:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 12:03:32PM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:58:29AM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > >
> > > What do you all want to know about the FADs?  Some ideas for questions
> > > I had:
> > >

> > I started a thread about this on Infrastructure to ask for dates that
> > would work for people to have a midwest infrastructure type FAD.  It had
> > remarkably little response.  I seem to recall only 3 people responding to
> > the thread.
> >
> > I can push the idea and try to get more people interested, but I was
> > wondering if others had tried organizing one and what success they had?
>
> Karsten, Larry Cafiero, and Clint Savage (IIRC) are organizing a FAD
> around the SCaLE 7x conference.  I know at least one of them is
> listening to this list and can provide feedback. :-)

Before I start, I'll note that talking about this on
fedora-ambassadors-list is probably the best location ultimately; that
is the group most familiar with our events, large and small.

As it happens, we're planning the "first FAD" for SCaLE 7x, so some of
it is seat-of-the-pants on top of repeatable processes.

In addition, we're not sure there are going to be more than a
half-dozen of us there.  We are putting out the word and contacting
people and such, but if there aren't people already planning to come
to the event ...

This is the catch-22 of the FAD.  There pretty much has to be
something there to entice people to travel; unlike a FUDCon, which is
an event in and of itself.

Caveat -- this is North America I am talking about, where travel
distances are great and public transit options are few outside of
metropolitan areas.

Thus you might want to find something to attach to, such as a LISA
event in your area.  Something Infra contributors might already attend
or be able to get funds/approval from $dayjob to go.

One part I'd really like to see developed is the virtual side of the
FAD.  Can we dial in to talk.fp.o and work via IRC with people who are
not present?  That might work for the FAD we have planned for SCaLE;
I'm going to see if the document lead for the User Guide can be
available on that day to watch our work and help guide from afar.
Infrastructure seems well fit for this kind of thing.

Thus you could get, I dunno, inode0 and $foo, meet at Dennis' house
for BBQ, turn off the TV for the day, and do some stuff.  If there are
a half-dozen other people who agree to sit there on IRC all day, would
that be helpful?

You could do high-resolution decision making in person, then parse out
tasks via IRC, etc.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41