What is a FAD (was Re: Fedora Board Recap 2009-01-27)

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 13:22:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> What is a FAD? Sorry ... I think it is something regional.. but no
> idea.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-December/msg00077.html

"(2) Create a second kind of Fedora-centric event that can complement
FUDCons, and allow folks like me, Paul, or regional Ambassador leaders
to create the sorts of events that are most useful to their region.

To that end, I would like to re-brand the idea of "Fedora Ambassador
Day" to "Fedora Activity Day" (still keeping the FAD acronym). The idea
of the new FAD is to bring smaller groups of people in a region (I'm
picturing 5-20) together for day-long or weekend-long sessions that
focus on one or two specific Fedora topics, and also include some sort
of social event, or interesting location.

I'm picturing bringing a bunch of packagers together for a weekend and
giving them the resources they need to knock one or two things off their
agenda, or bringing a couple of people who are working on a particular
feature to the same place and enabling them to have a code sprint.
Little "Fedora summits", all over the place, focusing on whatever piece
of Fedora is interesting to a group of contributors who want to come
together. The model the Fedora Ambassadors have been using -- bringing
the regional leaders together for a weekend to plan the next 6-12 month
strategy -- is also a good example.

Smaller, contributor-focused events that have specific goals, and can be
organized by whoever is interested in putting them together, wherever
they are in the world. These events complement FUDCons, and allow us to
mix FUDCons and FADs together in different regions of the world with
more flexibility and modularity."

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD

"The Fedora Activity Day (FAD) is a regional event (either one-day or a
multi-day) that allows Fedora contributors to gather together in order
to work on specific tasks related to the Fedora Project.

Originally, these meetings were used for local Fedora Ambassador groups
to make their plans for the coming year, but the idea is being expanded
to bring local contributors together in order to work on any projects
related to Fedora, and (if so desired) to organize some sort of social
event or to hold the event in an interesting location."