"Fedora" in a domain name

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Mon Feb 9 05:08:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 11:28:22PM -0500, Scott Williams wrote:
> Rahul,
>
> Jesse Keating still owns fedoralegacy.org and so far has requested we
> not use that name.  Tentatively looking at FedoraForever.org.  We
> would like to use Fedora in the domain name since we will be packaging
> security updates explicitly for EOL Fedora versions.  I have also
> looked into working under Fedora Unity, but at this time we will
> remain separate projects.

Any reason why a separate domain name is needed?  Why not something
like eol-security.fedoraproject.org for a server name, which FI can
redirect to your hosting service?

While I like the alliteration of FedoraForever, are you really
planning on posting security updates for all Fedora releases forever?
:-)  Sounds like an insanely daunting task to me.

Trademark-wise, we're looking at encouraging would-be domain
purchasers to instead ask the Fedora Project to buy the domain on
their behalf, and simply point DNS at the subproject's hosting
service.  Among other things, this would let Fedora maintain ultimate
control over the domain (and thus the Fedora trademark).  Paul is
working with legal to understand what kind of budget we might
have/need to offer this ability.

Thanks,
Matt