"Fedora" in a domain name

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 14:32:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 08:32:27AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 07:28:14AM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:

> >> Because that has the implication that it's part of the fedora project,
> >> which I don't think is the case here.  At least not yet.
> >
> >Yeah, but I tend to dislike the practice of forcing a new
> >idea/subproject to have to distinguish (at a domain level) it's place
> >in the Fedora universe.  Seems like it adds a lot of overhead to push
> >past the status quo.
> >
> >Can't we, with website verbage, control the message we want end users
> >to understand?  If not, is another domain really going to make that
> >much of a difference in that message being understood?
>
> We could try, but people hardly ever read that stuff.  My primary
> concern is getting bugs/requests for packages in the main Fedora
> bugzilla and lists for stuff that is EOL.  We have an EOL for a reason.
>
> That's possible whether a new domain is created or not.  I'm just
> wondering if it would exacerbate the situation even more if it was
> just a sub-domain of fp.o

We recently purchased the "fedoracommunity.org" domain, and I think
that would be a good place to establish this effort -- in other words,
"eol.fedoracommunity.org" or some similar URL.  It makes clear that
the project is part of a community effort as opposed to being part of
the official "fedoraproject.org" domain.

I'm not going to short-circuit the discussion of the value or scope of
this project, just wanted to clarify that we do have an appropriate
domain available.  Does this sound amenable?