"Fedora" in a domain name

Scott Williams vwfoxguru at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:07:52 UTC 2009

Re: "Fedora" in a domain name

    * From: "Paul W. Frields" <stickster gmail com>
    * To: fedora-advisory-board redhat com
    * Subject: Re: "Fedora" in a domain name
    * Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 09:36:56 -0500

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 11:08:46PM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 11:28:22PM -0500, Scott Williams wrote:
> > Rahul,
> >
> > Jesse Keating still owns fedoralegacy.org and so far has requested we
> > not use that name.  Tentatively looking at FedoraForever.org.  We
> > would like to use Fedora in the domain name since we will be packaging
> > security updates explicitly for EOL Fedora versions.  I have also
> > looked into working under Fedora Unity, but at this time we will
> > remain separate projects.
>
> Any reason why a separate domain name is needed?  Why not something
> like eol-security.fedoraproject.org for a server name, which FI can
> redirect to your hosting service?
>
> While I like the alliteration of FedoraForever, are you really
> planning on posting security updates for all Fedora releases forever?
> :-)  Sounds like an insanely daunting task to me.
>
> Trademark-wise, we're looking at encouraging would-be domain
> purchasers to instead ask the Fedora Project to buy the domain on
> their behalf, and simply point DNS at the subproject's hosting
> service.  Among other things, this would let Fedora maintain ultimate
> control over the domain (and thus the Fedora trademark).  Paul is
> working with legal to understand what kind of budget we might
> have/need to offer this ability.

I think that with our purchase of "fedoracommunity.org," we have a
fairly flexible solution now.  We can manage the subdomains as we
like, and I've asked the Infrastructure team to tell us how they would
like requests to flow, so they can manage and prioritize their workload
appropriately.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2009-February/msg00053.html

Note that Fedora Infrastructure is not currently offering hosting for
this domain -- only managing the DNS on behalf of the community.

Part of my intention for a separate domain is to keep as distinguished
as possible from fp.o.  In short, to allow this project to be tested
on it's own merits, and also to avoid end user confusion.  A distinct
domain, in my opinion, is the best solution for that.  Ultimately, I
would welcome this project's full absorption into Fedora project, but
in the meantime I would like to remain as independent as possible.
Although I trust this would likely not to be the issue, but if the
domain is owned by Fedora, what would keep Fedora from shutting us
down at will, and forcing us to get a new domain?

With my pledge to strictly follow the Trademark guidelines as set
forth by Legal in the wiki, I would like to register a domain in my
own name for now: FedoraForever.{com,net,org}.  I also intend to use
licenses, such as OPL, to allow compatibility with fp.o in foresight
of potential future collaboration.

Scott Williams (vwbusguy)