Xuropa offers FEL free exhibition space

James Colgan james at xuropa.com
Thu Jan 15 00:29:58 UTC 2009

Dear Fedora Advisory Board,

First of all, I'd like to thank Chitlesh for reaching out to.   There is a
great fit between FEL's vision and how we see the electronic design industry
being able to benefit from new license, use and business models moving
forward.

We had a good discussion today and see a couple of ways we can help Fedora.

We've created an Online Booth for FEL within the Xuropa Community.  Chitlesh
will be the manager of this area and will be populating it and getting it
ready to release to the FEL community this week.  It will be a great tool to
promote and increase Fedora/FEL exposure.  At the end of this month Cadence
is opening the first of their Xuropa Online Labs.  This will generate a lot
of traffic over time for FEL and help promote the work within the industry.

In the meantime, we're looking at ways to provide FEL with an Online Lab for
electronic design engineers and FEL community members to try out FEL via
their browser and contribute to the community dialog.

Chitlesh kindly forwarded one of your discussion emails with some questions
from Paul I'd like to address directly.

===snip===

>So the trademark is to be used to present a fully 100% Fedora spin, as

>approved through the spins process, only on a third-party web site.

>Is that correct?

This is correct.  The Fedora logo will be used exactly as you state, in an
unadulterated form supporting Fedora in a Fedora dedicated area of a third
party web platform.

> == Donation feature ==

> Xuropa's cofounder proposes a "donation" paypal feature for which they

> will take a percentage of it. I'm ok with it. My question is, is

> Fedora Board you ok with it ?

> They would then collect funds and wire to "us" 85% of the proceeds

> after expenses (paypal's and hardware and license costs).  This may

> not be very much to start, but it will build over time. However, if we

> are lucky, I guess we will get $100.

> I nominate MaxSpevack to be in charge of all money transaction, since

> he manages Fedora's budget already. IF we do happen to get lucky,

> maybe it would be nice to use "Fedora Scholarship" to get more

> contributors to FEL :)

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Scholarship

>A couple concerns:

>* The donation feature should let people know before they finalize any

>payment exactly what percentage is going to Fedora.

>* Is it possible that such a donation feature may be more trouble to

>track than it's actually worth?  Can we do the site *without* a

>donation feature?

We can definitely state the percentage of the donation that goes to FEL
prior to the donation being made.  While the Online Booth has been presented
without this donation feature I think that it would be beneficial for all
that we work it into the model in the future.

As to how much will be generated, to be honest we won't know until we try it
out.  However, it will help us to cover ours and FELs costs.  Later on, once
we have moved to a different infrastructure, we hope to support FEL within
an Online Lab.  We'd like to make this available at no cost to FEL, but
again, we have costs that we'd like to be able to recover if possible (we're
a small company ourselves).  So I'd like to understand how we can make this
all easier for us all from an accounting perspective and to enable FEL to
begin to grow some operating budget from these efforts.  I'll check the
scholarship link above.

Is this the first time that an open source project within Fedora has worked
with donations?  (I've seen it done with other open source and
collaborations, the most well known being Mozilla
http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/donate.html)

Any guidance from the board here would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, we're looking forward to Chitlesh and the community getting
the Online Booth in place and building the community.

Best regards,

James

James A. Colgan

CEO
Xuropa Inc.

441 28th Street
San Francisco
CA 94131

Tel: +1 (415) 867-9506
 <http://www.xuropa.com> www.xuropa.com
 <mailto:james at xuropa.com>  <mailto:james at xuropa.com> james at xuropa.com

"Connect-Attract-Engage"

 This email and any attachments may contain private, confidential and
privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you are
not the intended recipient, please immediately delete this email and any
attachments.