Bleeding edge software and Fedora

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 15:27:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 09:01:54PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Thought I'd pass this along for those that aren't on lwn.  There's a lot
> of good (and bad) comments that stem from the article.
>
> http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/316827/894bd60cdd16f1c9/

There are quite a lot of assertions and conclusions in that article
that don't seem cut and dried to me.  I don't know to whom in the
Fedora community the author reached out before writing it, or whether
it's meant to be more of an opinion piece anyway.

I'm sure there were people who didn't enjoy KDE 4.0.3 in Fedora 9's
initial release.  I heard plenty of opinions on *both* sides of the
issue, and based on the feedback I got, I believe there were plenty of
people who were happy to try the new technology.  For those who
weren't, we maintained Fedora 8 up until earlier this month, which
remains on KDE 3.5.x.  Our purpose wasn't to be "more cutting-edge
than thou," but rather to put more eyeballs on the advances in KDE and
hopefully a better feedback loop, as we explained earlier:

http://lwn.net/Articles/293003/

Also, the KDE SIG that did the integration work explains their
rationale here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/KDE4FAQ

I think we can take away that major desktop platform changes deserve
plenty of forward warning for users so they can make informed
decisions.