[Fedora-spins] Of test spins and trademarks

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 21:55:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 04:44:22PM -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram said the following on 07/17/2009 07:25 AM Pacific Time:
>> On 07/17/2009 06:50 AM, John Poelstra wrote:
>>
>>> Have the questions in this thread been adequately addressed?  If not,
>>> what specific questions does the board still need to address and I'll
>>> make sure they are carried forward to our queue of issues to discuss.
>>
>> They have not been
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2009-July/msg00025.html
>>

> I have opened a ticket for this topic.

I would propose that the trademark should be reserved for the things
the Board specifically approves for release, which includes the actual
release candidates for test phases up through final GA.  For anything
else, the Board's approval is required, and the Board should normally
not entertain requests for midstream test images.  This would put any
community member or team that wants to release test images on a level
playing field, and erases any confusion by a downstream consumer over
whether something is official Fedora.

The removal of fedora-{logos,release,release-notes} and substitution
of generic-* presents an exceedingly low risk for regressions and any
other problems.  If any are found, they should be fixed in the
distribution, because they are problems that exist for any potential
downstream remixer.