recording more metrics and doing more data mining about Fedora

Ian Weller ian at ianweller.org
Thu Jun 18 03:43:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 04:16:49PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Ian Weller<ian at ianweller.org> wrote:
> > Now, I'm simply starting this -- I don't have any shiny graphs to show
> > you just yet. But what I do need people to do is let me know what sort
> > of statistics would help them with what they do. It is also beneficial
> > to include things that we are already getting statistics on, or that we
> > previously received statistics for, so that these can all be integrated
> > into the same system.
> >
> > Here's where to submit your ideas:
> >  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Data_mining_use_cases
>
> Hmm...right up my alley.

:)  I was told by someone that it would be.

> For the data mining and visualization back end.. what's the tech you
> are going to use? to build up the scripted automation?  I should
> probably learn whatever it is you plan to use for visualization.

I haven't yet investigated very much in the project -- I was assigned
this as part of my internship under Max Spevack today. If you'd like to
provide some options for me, that'd be wonderful.

The idea that's currently in my head is to create a repository of a
bunch of Python scripts that return a specific type of data -- perhaps a
count of something over time, etc., that can be called via a specific
method and told to generate data, which would then get sucked into
whatever visualization backend we find.

--
Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36