The Fedora experience

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Fri Nov 6 15:32:02 UTC 2009

On 11/06/2009 09:53 AM, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> 2009/11/6 Máirín Duffy<mairin at linuxgrrl.com>:
>> On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 11:12 +0100, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
>>> A bit of trolling, but i mean this seriously in a way.
>>>
>>> The article mentions having a villain. Who is our villain? Is it
>>> Microsoft or Canonical?
>>>
>>> But seriously, we focus on being a leader where it doesn't matter what
>>> other people are doing. Being compared to either of those two just
>>> goes against our principles.
>>
>> I think our villian is proprietary software and closed formats. Our
>> villian is maybe people who don't share?

Looks like a good book to read. I question the villain item recently.
Yes, that is what the mac ads are. But the keynotes are all about
lifestyle and coolness. The Air had no villian, and I dont think the
iPhone did. It was more coolness then against "Them".

For broader adoption, I think Linux and FOSS needs that type of coolness
which speaks to a broader audience. Closed formats speak to some, but
for others who can read their 10 year old .doc formats in Office 2009 it
is not a big play.

-- bk