Upcoming Fedora Election Schedule (Proposal)

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 05:16:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> inode0 wrote on 08.11.2009 16:36:
>> [...]
>> * Fedora Advisory Board and Steering Committee Election Schedule
>>
>> November 10-16: Nomination of candidates for open seats
>> November 17-23: Candidate questionnaire period (answers are private
>> until published as a group)
>> November 26: Publish questionnaire responses no later than November 26
>> November 27 - December 3: IRC town hall meetings (1 or 2 at the
>> discretion of the board/committee)
>> [...]
>> I am proposing a slightly more compressed nomination and voting period
>> than we have had in the past to accommodate better processing of the
>> questionnaires which were found to be very valuable last election
>> cycle but for which there was not sufficient time to publish answers
>> prior to all of the  town hall meetings.
>
> I'd do it like this to have it even more compressed and do something
> like this:
>
> November 10-16: prepare questions for the candidate questionnaire and
> publish them on November 17

I meant to publish the questions on the 17th so we could begin
generating them ASAP and have the answers returned by the 23rd giving
a couple of days to you (I hope you are willing to help with this
again) to work your magic on them.

> November 17-23: Nomination of candidates for open seats
> November 25 deadline for candidate to send in answers for the candidate
> questionnaire; answers have to be private and get published as a group
> November 26: Publish questionnaire responses no later than November 26
> November 27 - December 3: IRC town hall meetings (1 or 2 at the
>> discretion of the board/committee)
>> [...]
>
> Reasons: That gives people that nominate early more then a week to
> prepare the answers; those that nominate on the last minute have way
> less time, but that's their own "fault".

So I think the only question is whether to have the nomination period
before or after the publication of the questions. I'm not sure how I
feel about that. I see your point. I don't like penalizing someone who
gets "recruited" to run either though. It isn't really their fault
they don't run to nominate themselves on the first day. And the
answers were so useful to the people voting that I'd like to make sure
all candidates have a reasonable amount of time to answer them for us.
So with the nomination period at the same time as the generation of
the question, and the nomination period ending when the questions are
released, gives everyone one week to give them serious thought and
write up meaningful answers. I think this is most helpful to voters.

John