"What is the Fedora Project?"

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:10:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> ...                                        The reason Fedora works, and can
> innovate quickly, is because we are not a popular democracy.  We are a
> meritocracy in which leadership comes from people who have the passion
> to make their vision happen.  Look at the North American Ambassadors
> program in which John works as an example.  The many advances over the
> last two years that have happened there, have happened *precisely*
> because the people who were interested in the work moved things
> forward through their own time and toil.

This was very heavily influenced by and the result of leaders in the
community who had the vision to see an area within the project that
had problems and empower a group of people to take ownership, become
vested in the result, and get things done. If I haven't thanked Greg
and whoever he worked with before I will now for doing that. I suspect
this was an initiative from the community architecture team at Red
Hat.

Did Greg hand us a mission statement and a set of long term goals to
meet? I don't recall that part if he did and I'm afraid we probably
ignored it if it existed. We found direction in the common values of
the Fedora community, they weren't written on a stone anywhere, but
they weren't difficult to see.

John