"What is the Fedora Project?"

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Thu Oct 8 17:13:40 UTC 2009

I, too, have been spending quite some time thinking about this topic
and discussing it with various people -- both in the Fedora
contirbutor community and outside. I'm quoting Tom's reply below
because I find myself agreeing in almost all points, TBH.

The fact that we keep asking, or being asked, this question, and every
time we can't find an answer, might happen for a number of reasons.
The question could not be the right one (in the sense that we don't
have enough facts to answer it, or that the resulting answer will be
too vague to be useful), Or, that, like Tom says, we're asking for
different things than the question asks.

Being a community effort, Fedora is probably not the best place to
have a top-down answer on any such question. Yes, members of community
want the Board to set a direction, but that's not really how open
source works. Even if we do say "Let's focus simple users", someone
needs to do that work.

Instead, we've decided to put some serious effort, manpower and
promotion of the Spins and the Fedora sub-projects ideas, exactly to
let the community define its focus by itself. Having a default spin
should never mean that this is indeed the direction we'd like Fedora
to go to. It's just the best one right now. Agreeing with Tom, if we
DO produce a Simple spin and blog and promote it, and people and media
DO pick up, then I'd seriously consider dubbing that the default one.

I'm consciously avoiding to satisfy my need for control in open
source. Sure, I'd also LOVE to have a clear direction and everything.
But this will strip the community's strongest tool, which is pluralism
and freedom of choice from a diversity of different directions.

I'd encourage people who would like to see Fedora go to a different
direction to actually COME UP WITH A PLAN for it, and start
implementing it. They'll have my full support, in all levels. In this
sense, I disagree with folks who draw lines saying "we shouldn't do
this" -- and I've expressed this opinion in all levels too. We should
encourage people to try different things and CHANGE the Fedora goals.
If the community follows, the Board will follow, because it's an organ
by and for the Community.

And to make a final point about the ability to develop for a number of
audiences: I believe we can do it, if we look things from high-level.
I don't really care about packages. I care that we can create a spin
where after firstboot there is secondboot which is a tutorial for new
users. Where the artwork includes fluffy clouds and pink ponies, if
that's what a new user wants. We don't need to change the kernel.
Addressing new users is not only technical. It's a lot more.

And if there are people willing to do that, we should empower them.

-d