"What is the Fedora Project?"

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 21:20:05 UTC 2009

On 10/08/2009 05:02 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Paul W. Frields (stickster at gmail.com) said:
>> * ...expects things to "just work" as much as possible, and can
>>    sometimes be impatient as a result.
>> * ...doesn't want to go back to $OTHER_OS, and is therefore willing to
>>    fiddle occasionally -- on the order of 10-15 minutes or less per
>>    month -- to avoid it.
>> * ...accepts that software freedom has certain limitations, but wants
>>    to minimize (and if possible eliminate) any difference in
>>    capabilities vs. $OTHER_OS.
>
> ... here's where I wonder. Do we gain a large base by promoting the
> free software aspect up front, or by giving them something that just
> works and hits their needs, and showing them that it was free software
> that did it later?

I think the latter.  But I don't think we necessarily need to hammer it
home to the end user.  Keep in mind that we want to also promote FOSS to
developers who would be otherwise developing proprietary software.  If
they see FOSS getting a large user base, and decide to go FOSS instead
of commercial, I think we're succeeding in our mission.