Fedora 14 (two releases away folks) Feature proposal

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Fri Oct 9 16:04:44 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal said the following on 10/08/2009 11:33 AM Pacific Time:
> Apropos (in a tangential way) our discussion today. And as a result of
> some irc-discussions:
>
>  Since the board  defines which spin is the default spin then I suggest
> the board Make the kde or xfce spin the default spin for F14.

My first sense was that you were trolling the board, trying to make an
unspoken point, or trying to steer the board towards a certain
(uncomfortable) place.  So before assuming any longer, are there other
intentions behind this suggestion? :-)

> It won't hurt users upgrading b/c they are just upgrading.
> And users reinstalling are reinstalling.
>
> It makes it clear that the spins process is serious and f'real and it
> will test how well our processes work.
>

> And if we have stunning success then the board re-evals the default spin
> again.
>
> thoughts?

It seems haphazard to make this switch simply because:
   a) the board decides
   b) it shows the spins process works
   c) it won't hurt anyone.

I would make this decision more on the merits of how it meets the needs
of the targeted audience.
   a) Who do you believe Fedora's target audience is?
   b) How would rotating spins every release better meet the needs of
that audience?

John