Beta packages within stable releases

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 16:15:01 UTC 2009

Mike McGrath (mmcgrath at redhat.com) said:
> I personally prefer to have Thunderbird 3 and Firefox 3.5.3 on my desktop
> because I understand when things are and aren't working right and can
> communicate that to upstream.  In my opinion if you require older versions
> of these critically important software packages, there are other
> distributions that offer it.  For example the most recent version of
> Ubuntu ships the 3.0.X tree of Firefox.

So, looking at this:

Firefox-3.5.x is the latest *stable* release of Firefox.

The Thunderbird currently in F-11 updates is a beta version.

I believe the two cases should likely be treated differently; the concerns
about how the new Thunderbird completely changed the workflow and UI of the
mailer is also something that doesn't seem appropriate for a released
distro.

Bill