Desktop Proposal

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 21:38:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 10:44 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > This comes down to project vs product.  Your proposed mission change is
> > a great mission for the desktop spin product.  Not so great for the
> > Fedora project as a whole.
> >

> Peoples complaint is with the Fedora product, adding this mission
> statement brings additional focus to that.
>
> > Our Project has a wide and broad mission that manifests itself into
> > various products.  One of the products is the Desktop spin which
> > absolutely should have a more concise mission statement, one that more
> > closely relates to an individuals needs and concerns.
> >

> Take the word 'spin' off of there.  The 'spins' aren't nearly as useful as
> we think they are.  I can install a desktop without a 'spin' and it's
> still not as stable as it could be.

You can install a desktop without a spin because we allow people to do
installs from the giant pile of packages and to choose their own
adventure.

Whether you call it a "spin" or a 'product' or an 'offering', the
specific grouping that we use to make up the Fedora Desktop is the first
and foremost offering and one that has a specific mission statement.
That shouldn't prevent another spin or product or offering from having a
different, even conflicting mission statement.  All should fit within
the global Fedora /Project/ mission statement.  Contributors care about
the project mission statement, and to some degree a product or two.  End
users would care mostly about the product mission statement, maybe later
care about the project mission statement.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!