"What is the Fedora Project?"

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Oct 22 02:58:29 UTC 2009

I think think your proposal is the way we should be doing things. I think
we should get a lot more testers of the upcoming release with a model
like this.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 18:58:08 -0700,
  Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> Rawhide as we know it, /pub/fedora/linux/releases/development/ will
> remain "rawhide".  We may even change the path to say rawhide, just to
> catch things up and well I like keeping mirrors on their toes.  Rawhide
> will be a repository of developmental and experimental packages.  Things
> being worked on for the future.  It will /not/ be an installable tree,
> rather it will just be a repository of packages, to be added on to an
> already stable "base", eg you'd install F12, and enable rawhide to test
> rawhide.  This will significantly lower the complaints that "rawhide
> isn't installable".

It would be nice to have a yum plugin were you install a specified package (or
packages) from rawhide and only pull in the absolute minimum number of packages
to satisfy dependencies from rawhide. As much as is allowed, dependencies
should be pulled from the base repo. If I update one package from rawhide,
I don't want to update all of it's dependencies to rawhide, only those that
absoultely have to be (based on minumum versions in requires).