Group application standardization

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 21:24:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 10:16 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> WRT B, joining the infrastructure group is completely different from
> joining the packagers group.  Can this be remedied or will we have to come
> up with some other workflow?  The main problem I'm trying to solve here is
> people coming, applying for a group, and then never hearing from them
> again.  Having groups follow up with users _won't_ work.  So it's possible
> we may want to get rid of the application button altogether?  I'm mostly
> just talking out loud here, please dump your brains if you have other
> ideas because I've been thinking about it for a while and don't see an
> easy answer :-/

Because we have many groups providing many different things, a one stop
shop isn't likely to work.  I think if in any case we've let a user get
to a page where they can arbitrarily apply to join any group we've
failed.  Perhaps what we need to do instead is take away the "join this
group" type buttons, and instead have a way for a group sponsor/member
generate an invitation email with a unique URL.  When the group is ready
to have a new member, they can say "invite this person" and put in their
FAS name, that way the person is invited to join the right group, and
all the criteria to get to that invitation stage can be handled by the
individual groups.

Just a thought.

--
Jesse Keating