Group application standardization

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 00:00:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 03:03:59PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Thursday 15 April 2010 02:37:29 pm Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> > > FWIW, at least some of them were actual people who told me they weren't
> > > sure why they signed up for group X.  Mind boggling :)
> >
> > It is probably a similar subset of the people who want install everything.
> >
> > When I went through the groups lists there were so many choices I just
> > decided to mass submit for some pages as it was easier to have someone
> > tell me "Hey you didn't want to do that." versus find out later I
> > needed to apply for a group if I wanted to do something.  I am
> > guessing it is another example of the too many choices problem: while
> > some people can't make any decision from the multitude there are..
> > some people have found it more useful to just choose everything to see
> > what happens.
>

> Maybe we need some kind of abstraction layer with a wizard,
>
> that asks some questions on where you would like to contribute. and recommends
> groups.
>
> i.e. im from brasil and want to translate i get offered the general translation
> group and the pt_BR one

... but in general signing up for a group in FAS is the last step of
beconming part of a Fedora group.  Which is confusing since signing up for
an account and signing the CLA are some of the first things that our
announcements have people do.  We need to send people to start communicating
with groups right after they sign the CLA (or as a TODO list item in FAS or
something) rather than let them explore the FAS interface looking for
a group to sign up for.

Or we need to change what the groups do so that people really do find that
signing up for a group gets them communicating to the groups that can use
their help.

-Toshio