Group application standardization

Joerg Simon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 19 16:11:32 UTC 2010

Am Freitag, 16. April 2010 18:47:13 schrieb Mike McGrath:
> Your choice of words there is good.  There's a big difference between the
> technical act of joining a group and the workflow act of joining a team.
> Generally though I'm hearing 2 things:
> 1) We don't really see a need to standardize on how to join a group.
> 2) We all agree that we need to spend more time on figuring out a proper
> workflow here.
> Keep the ideas coming.  I think at least allowing groups to be invite only
> (on a per group choice) will be a good step.

In ambassadors we take the "act of joining the group"[1] as the trigger to
start the mentoring process [2]. This is a balance act, because we do not want
to spend too much ressources on Membership Management, but on the other hand,
by spending these ressources the new candidates will work more efficient in the
future than without it.

Our Statistics [3] shows us, that less than 10% really make it in the end.

Because we trac the process on mentoring for ambassadors, our biggest help
right now would be a automatic fas group clean up for applications to the
ambassador group older than 14 days! It is easy to bring the candidates back
in the group who need longer mentoring but will make it in the end and we have
not to spend a lot work by manually clean up the other 90% - this would help a
lot!

cu Joerg

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Join
[2] https://fedorahosted.org/fama/wiki/mentoring
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAmSCo_report_2010-03#Mentoring
--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688