fedoracommunity.org domain requests outstanding

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 15:09:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 12:17:40PM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > We need someone who can make the care and feeding (including upgrades,
> > > security fixes, etc) of this solution a long term commitment.
> > > Otherwise, we're doomed to failure. Especially so since the
> > > infrastructure team such as it exists right now has almost no
> > > experience with PHP, let alone Drupal.
> >
> > I was under the assumption we were already deploying Drupal for
> > something else, so the additional burden was in the integration
> > plugin.
> >
> > If this is not the case, maybe the first step is to find one or more
> > interested parties to share the load. I am around since some time (and
> > do not plan to leave soon) but I don't believe I could handle this all
> > alone in the spare time.
> >

> We're evaluating it for insight.  It's not immediately clear to me how far
> we've gotten with that.

We've got it to the point that it's integrated with FAS, and I'm
putting together a project plan for the rest of what's needed -- such
as workflow for covering news and marketing needs.  Some of that needs
to be transitioned from what we tried with Zikula.  Some of it will
require assessing upstream contributed modules to see what helps us
achieve and maintain the desired end result more effectively.

I'm going to take this up as somewhat of my pet "20% project" in my
new job, but that doesn't change the fact that we need a team of
people who can maintain and grow the product over time.  That will be
part of the project plan as well.  I agree 100% that it's not right
for this to get dumped on Infrastructure; it needs to have long-term
support from the community.  Using a codebase that has a large, strong
community upstream is helpful, but doesn't solve that problem by
itself.