Protocol for tomorrow's IRC Board Meeting

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 14:52:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Jared K. Smith
<jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I was preparing to send out the announcement for tomorrow's IRC Board
> Meeting, when I realized we still hadn't come to consensus on
> protocol.
>
> Previously discussed ideas include:
>
>  o  Use something like Google Moderator (or some free/open-source variant)
>  o  Ask questions in a different channel, and have a human moderator
> transfer them one at a time to the meeting
>  o  Encourage participants to wait until called upon to answer their
> question (type "!" to indicate that you have a question)
>
> Now's your chance to speak up!  If I don't hear some vigorous debate
> over the next few hours, I'll decided on my own and send out the
> announcement. :-)

I would like to see it loosely moderated by a board member. The
community can use ? to indicate they have a question (new topic). Once
a community member is given the floor for a new topic they can speak
freely with the board. Others who want to add to that conversation can
use ! to indicate they would like to speak on the current topic. When
the moderator thinks the current issue has been addressed to the
extent the board wants to address it he/she can give the floor to the
next ? in the queue. Community folks can use EOF to indicate they have
said their piece and are finished talking at any time.

John