Appointment of Board Members.

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Aug 13 20:53:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 14:24:50 -0600,
  Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> >From the meeting, reworded to start discussion.
>
> Currently the Fedora board is made of 9 members with 4 of them being
> appointed. What are the benefits of this arrangement, and is there a
> path where the Board could move to being completely elected?

I haven't noticed any abuse of this. Both redhat and non-Redhat people have
been appointed. Typically they have been selected from the runner ups. Doing
this with an idea of balancing representation from different parts of the
project seems like a good idea. (I like to see input from different parts
of Fedora on the board, but there isn't a good way to express this
diversity goal with the current election system.)

What is more important to me is Fedora's commitment to self-hosting, so that
there is a credible threat of a fork if Redhat starts doing undesireable
things (in the opinion of a significant fraction of the community). And I
think so far Redhat has been very good about supporting efforts to improve
self-hosting of Fedora. I think that says a lot about their intentions for
the future.