Appointment of Board Members.

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 22:11:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 15:16, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Currently the Fedora board is made of 9 members with 4 of them being
>> appointed. What are the benefits of this arrangement, and is there a
>> path where the Board could move to being completely elected?
>

> But instead of moving some appointed seats to elected seats.. what if
> you just chop off one or two seats completely and drop the Board down
> to 7 official members plus the FPL. I'm really not sure our elections
> process can really handle more elected seats. I'd much rather see an
> elections process that can sustain up to at least twice the number
> candidates than their are seats. Adding more seats does not mean we
> get more high quality candidates standing up for election.

Yes the current voting method would not work well with that. It is
really meant to be used per seat (eg range voting for Seat 1 versus
Seat 2 versus Seat 3) instead of our pool voting. The larger the pool
we make it the less 'valid' the results mathematically. Another form
of voting would be required. Personal preference would prefer
something else anyway, but thats because I like silly things like
"none of the above" slots and mandatory voting.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.