Appointment of Board Members.

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 22:54:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 16:35, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 14:24, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> From the meeting, reworded to start discussion.
>>>
>>> Currently the Fedora board is made of 9 members with 4 of them being
>>> appointed. What are the benefits of this arrangement, and is there a
>>> path where the Board could move to being completely elected?
>>
>> My personal view noting that I am an appointed member AND an employee
>> of Red Hat.
>
> I just want to point out that you would have been an elected member if
> one more seat had been open as would several other recently appointed
> members.

Thank you but I had particular reasons to discount it :).

[Queue Asperger's monologue:] The range voting method is meant to be
used per council seats versus a you got this many votes so you get in.
The more seats you stick into the pool the less valid the bottom end
is for saying it has a consensus to be elected. To be strictly valid,
each one of us would run for a particular 'seat' and only that seat.
The person who got the most votes would be the one that had the
largest consensus around. If in an election per seat it had been me
'against' John or Larry only.. then I might have not come 'ahead'. *

Thus my reasoning for emphasizing my appointed nature.

* the terms against and ahead are not really appropriate for range
voting but its friday and my brain can't come up with better ones.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.