Appointment of Board Members.

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Aug 14 03:38:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 20:28:48 -0400,
  Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:

> The other question that this raises is the timing of the appointments.
> Having one seat appointed prior to the election cycle doesn't strike
> me as furthering the goal of ensuring the diversity of the newly
> elected Board. The diversity of the current Board can be taken into
> account when making the choice, but you have no idea what the
> composition of the new board is going to be. Balancing it after the
> election seems to me to be the right thing to do.

This seems like a no-brainer change to me.
Currently there isn't a good way to vote for diversity. If I want one of
two FESCO representatives to be on the board, but don't really care much
which and don't want both, I don't have a good way to express that preference.
Having the FPL fix things up after the election (particularly if diversity
is explicitly one of the factors to base the decision on) goes a long way
toward fixing that problem.