Appointment of Board Members.

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 19:15:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:34, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 07:09:47AM -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
>> Toshio Kuratomi said the following on 08/13/2010 01:48 PM Pacific Time:

> What's the common thread in these?  Here's my subjective "History of Fedora
> Governance".  I feel that at the start of Fedora, there was a cabal of
> engineers working on getting things done so that we could have
> a distribution.  This became formalized into FESCo which we see now.  In

I thought it was a bunch of engineers who were used to working on an
OS they could throw away after 3-4 releases to go do something new
being told that  instead they would have to  support anything they
wrote for 7-10 years.. and the company realizing that the ADHD
medicine costs would wipe out any profits.. However I was many states
away in a vault at the time so my knowledge is less clear.

> These examples all have the Fedora Project Board crossing over from
> restricting itself to decisions about the Project as a whole into making
> decisions about the Fedora Distribution.

The problem I see is that for many situations there is little
difference between the two. While the Board is something like a People
Engineering Steering Committee it is hard to separate Distribution
from People at times. And without a formal charter of where things
line, both groups spend a lot of time throwing issues back and forth
because they don't feel its their ball but the other guys. [Even with
a formal charter this will happen.. just look at how every government
throws stuff from Legislative to Executive to Judicial and back
again.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.