Board Composition Proposal

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 21:16:15 UTC 2010

I'd like to take a minute to actually propose something concrete for
the Board to consider as it sees fit in the coming months. The
conversation in the related thread has now veered off into areas I
don't want to pursue.

Proposed Changes:

F15 Election (the next election): no change
F16 Election : convert the post election appointed seat to an elected seat
F17 Election: convert the post election appointed seat to an elected seat

The principle reason I want to make this change is to empower the
Fedora community to effectively control the composition of its primary
governance body. I also want it to be clear to everyone both inside
and outside of Fedora that it is the Fedora Project who determines who
governs the project.

I accept the reasons given for retaining some appointed seats as
sound. Looking back over the past four elections it appears to me that
the post election appointment was used to seat the candidate who
received the most votes without landing in an elected seat. This I
think argues that we are not short of strong and capable candidates
running and don't need to consider reducing the number of Board seats
unless there are other considerations.

John