Appointment of Board Members.

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 17 00:49:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> * In the Max Spevack era, the Board was pushed away from making
> decisions for two reasons: 1) FESCo was deemed to be the body that
> understood the technical issues at hand and therefore the body that
> should make most of the decisions regarding Fedora.

Context is important:

I spent a lot of time as FPL being very concerned about the role of
FESCo, and trying very hard to make sure that folks who had been doing a
ton of heavy lifting and decision making in Fedora *prior* to the setup
of the Board felt like they, their opinions, and their contributions
were valued and respected, especially with the merge of Core and Extras.

I wanted to make sure that the folks who had built and managed Fedora
Extras so successfully were still leaders in the technical discussions
happening in Fedora.  Thus, s/Extras/Engineering in the term FESCo, and
a period of re-discovering what that actually meant.  But the *mandate*
was always there, IMHO.

--Max