Appointment of Board Members.

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 17 01:02:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Poelcat was asking for examples where the Board interfered with things
> that were rightly in fesco's sphere of influence.

This got me thinking:

Let's forget the past for the moment, and worry about the present.  How
well articulated is FESCo's *current* spheres of influence?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Engineering_Steering_Committee

"FESCo handles the process of accepting new features, the acceptance of
new packaging sponsors, Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and SIG
Oversight, the packaging process, handling and enforcement of maintainer
issues and other technical matters related to the distribution and its
construction."

How good is this description?

Where do things like Infrastructure, QA, Release Engineering, etc. live
in our structure (I use that word purposefully rather than saying
"hierarchy")?

Is there a place where the leaders (either individuals or leadership
committees) of all those different technical sub-sections of Fedora are
able to coordinate and communicate?

Or is that what the release readiness meetings are used for?  If so, is
that sufficient?

At the end of the year when FESCo members look at each other and say
"what kind of year did we have?" how is that answer determined?

You can (and should) substitute FESCo in that question for any of
Fedora's leadership teams.

--Max