Appointment of Board Members.

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 17 12:37:43 UTC 2010

2010/8/16 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> Could the Board as a body appoint the appoined seats rather than just
> the FPL? Then I think these 3 points would still hold true?

I haven't thought through all the implications of this, but I don't
have a problem with this proposal in theory.  Maybe I'm still a bit
naive, but my view is that the Board should be actively engaged in
working with the FPL to identify and discuss the people that would be
well suited for appointed Board seats.  I'd also expect Board members
to be vocal and tell me if they thought I was appointing the wrong
person, or the wrong type of person for the position. If we need to
codify that, that's fine.  It should not come down to "what the FPL
wants" vs. the "what the Board wants" -- it should be focused on "What
is the best for Fedora".  If the process is working as it should,
there shouldn't be much difference in who makes the appointment,
right?

To be honest, I'm much more concerned about finding and building a
large pool of leaders that are willing to serve (on the Board, on the
steering committees, etc.) than I am about whether it's the Board or
the FPL that does the appointment.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader