Appointment of Board Members.

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Tue Aug 17 14:59:24 UTC 2010

Toshio Kuratomi said the following on 08/16/2010 10:38 PM Pacific Time:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 08:52:22PM -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
>> Toshio Kuratomi said the following on 08/16/2010 07:06 PM Pacific Time:

>>> So... if we go with this... FESCo seems to fit poelcat's view that it's
>>> middle management.  FESCo isn't expected to be innovative here.  They're
>>> expected to take care that the routines of creating the distribution are
>>> there and no wheels come off in the process.  So how good is that
>>
>> This is not my view.  This is not what I think. It isn't helpful to the
>> discussion.
>>
> Sorry -- I was speaking right after reading this old thread:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2007-June/003324.html

Three years ago, in response to a proposal written by someone else, I
replied with these words,

"
<disclaimer>
I have a very primitive understanding of FESCo.  Each time I try to
understand it (asking on fedora-devel or searching the wiki) I have come
up empty-handed.  I'm not against FESCo, I simply do not understand what
it is supposed to be or do.

The overall impression I got from reading this complete proposal was
that FESCo is a layer of "middle-management".  Naturally, I find that
hard to believe considering the spirit Fedora :)  I doubt this is the
case so I think being more explicit about FESCo's job would be a good
thing for those less familiar.
</disclaimer>
"

I'm not sure we're going to be able to make any progress here if my
views are construed as being the opposite of what I've said.

> So as to erase that old memory from my head, how has your view of FESCo
> changed?  What do you presently think of it as?
>
> -Toshio

I'm not able to invest any more time in this tread as I'm getting less
and less clear what problem really needs to be solved or what progress
this discussion is really achieving.  I think we could make a lot more
progress discussing these topics in person or on the phone.

John