Board Composition Proposal

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 15:31:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> When I was a member of the board and we went through a round of
> appointments, all appointment candidates were discussed within the
> board, and I don't recall there being an appointment that did not have
> the full current board approval.  That may not be codified in any
> written bylaw, but it seemed to be standard practice, and thus little
> chance of a renegade FPL stuffing the board with yes-people.

I think you're missing the point by thinking of them as "yes-people".
I'm not talking about the FPL putting people in that will agree with
everything that they believe but rather certain things that they
believe and are essential to the FPL's vision of Fedora.  Think back
to anything that is controversial... let's say updates vision.  If the
FPL thinks that Fedora needs to worry more about stability, the FPL
has a wide range of candidates who have weighed in on the question
asking for more stability in Fedora.  People who are primarily known
for other work and bring other talents to the table but who have,
because the debate was so wide ranging, made clear where they stand.
Similarly, if the FPL thinks that Fedora needs to stay closer to its
roots, they have a diverse set of candidates to select from as well.

-Toshio