Board Composition Proposal

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 18:56:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 20:12, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 06:45:24PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> >
>> > It's difficult to see how we actually do this while having multiple
>> > seats up for election at the same time. We don't have any concept of
>> > districting by which to separate seats out as distinct opportunities.
>> >

>> It is more of my understanding of Range Voting as a method to select
>> seats and isn't meant to be used for a pool of seats. With a pool we
>> could go with something much more simpler and be as valid (vote
>> +1/0/-1 for a candidate and those with the most votes above 0 get in
>> :)). The seats is mainly for making keeping change as simple as
>> possible in the election system.
>>
> Wait... You mean one pool and just have votes of +1/0/-1 for everyone?  If
> so, that's still range voting.... (believe it or not, Vote +1/0/-1 and only
> +1 counts is also range voting. It's distinctive enough that it has its own
> name, though: approval voting).

Correct it is a form of 'range voting' but much different from the
form used due to the limitations of the votes from 0-X (where X is the
number of candidates.) One is supposedly more valid for 'pools of
candidates' and the other is for 'open seats'.

However I am probably going against my true aim with that.

What I want is more people to vote. I would like that to be voluntary
and having asked people why they don't vote its usually "its too
complicated". I then looked into the range voting system and while I
can see what it is aiming for realized how we implement it is not
valid. So either make it valid, make it less complicated, or both. And
if that does not bring more people to vote, push towards making voting
mandatory once per year.

> -Toshio

Stephen J Smoogen.