Proposal for the future of Fedora

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Aug 19 07:59:20 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, August 18, 2010 04:32:41 pm Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> Yesterday, there was a long discussion held in #fedora-advisory-board.
> The topic of discussion was "What is Fedora?" (Or perhaps "What should
> Fedora be?")
>
> I would like to make a proposal to the Board regarding this topic.
>
> First of all, I will succinctly say that I feel that Fedora should be: A
> stable platform for rapidly developing the next generation of free,
> open-source software.

The question number one - what does stable means? Everyone talking about "to be
stable", I like it, I want stable OS - but everyone understands it differently.
For me - stable is - it boots and does not crash, I can use it, for others it's
stable environment, for another one it's RHEL like system and so on. So firts -
we have to be concrete what we want, "stable" is not enough.
Is it unstable to update DE with major release? In terms of bugfixing - it's not,
it's stable, in the meaning of UI changes, it isn't. Where's the line? Is it
unstable to force people update to something completely new every 6/12 months?
Yes, every new Fedora contains so many new nice features that are not usually
very stable at that time but offers nice functionality that makes Fedora best OS.

> I know that there are several different camps on this topic. On one end
> of the spectrum, we have the people who want Fedora to have a longer
> support lifetime, to be stable out the door and be stabilized for
> long-time use with no changes but bugfixes made to a released version.
> At the other end, we have the people who feel that Fedora should be a
> Mecca for rapid development and deployment; that Fedora should get the
> newest features fastest, and people who are looking for a stable
> environment should look elsewhere.
>
> I don't believe that these two goals necessarily need to be at odds. My
> proposal is this: We should stabilize released Fedoras, while making it
> easy to release exciting new features as quickly as possible.

Exactly! We can and we nearly have both!!! We have two releases in the wild and
I've already commented it several time (even I started proposal and never
finished it, sorry, a lot of people asked me to do it but I was quite
dissapointed that time) - why not use this as our strength? Fn as progressive
release slowing down towards time it becomes Fn-1 with critical bugfixes only!
This leads to "stable" (in all meanings I understand stable) but still very
fresh one release for our users and all new features settle down by the time =>
WIN!

Jaroslav