A vision statement

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 20 19:17:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Robyn Bergeron
<robyn.bergeron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there someplace where we have clearly articulated what the
> difference between these two things should be? Or are they one and the
> same?

Traditionally, a mission statement is something that explains "what
we're doing right now", whereas a vision statement inspires people to
believe in the future.  As a trivial example, a mission statement
might be "Give away 500 free meals a week", while a vision statement
would be along the lines of "End hunger in our city".  One explains
how you're going to get there, and the other explains where you're
going.

I only know this because I've been trying to work on the vision
statement, and keep writing "how to get there" statements instead :-(

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader